YOUNGSTOWN — The Mahoning Valley Historical Society has announced its schedule for its 2020 holiday season, which includes alternative in-person and online programming due to the cancellation of this year’s “Memories of Christmas Past” exhibit.
Tyler History Center, 325 W. Federal St., will be closed on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. MVHS’ current health and safety protocols will remain in place, requiring room occupancy limits, social distancing of 6 feet and wearing of masks by all staff and visitors.
In-person plans for Tyler History Center include:
- The Holiday Heirlooms: Making the Season Bright gallery exhibit will be open from today (Nov. 6) through Jan. 3, 2021. Holiday artifacts from the MVHS collection will be featured in the Tyler’s Youngstown Foundation Community History Gallery.
- The Tyler Holiday Store will be open from noon to 4 p.m. Fridays through Sundays from Nov. 27 to Dec. 20. Final bonus shopping days will be from noon to 4 p.m. Dec. 21-23. New and vintage holiday merchandise will be available to purchase. The Tyler Holiday Store will be located in the Thomas Ballroom, on the second floor of Tyler History Center. The permanent gift shop on the first floor will sell non-holiday merchandise, including new books and apparel that connect with Mahoning Valley history.
- 2020 holiday windows will be on display at the front entrance to Tyler History Center. Images of vintage Mahoning Valley holiday scenes will be free to view by all passers-by and visitors.
Virtual plans include:
- Holiday Mahoning Valley artiFACTS will feature seasonal collection items in a special version of the MVHS Facebook series on Mondays and Wednesdays from Monday (Nov. 9) to Dec. 30.
- Holiday Bites and Bits of History online video programs will be premiered through the MVHS YouTube channel at noon Nov. 19 and Dec. 17. November’s program, “The Art of the Glassblower” by author and Christmas antiques collector George W. Johnson, will feature the mastery of glassblowing in holiday décor. In December, Cassie Nespor, curator at Youngstown State University’s Melnick Medical Museum, will explore the medical roots of celebratory cocktails in “Cheers to Your Health!”
- Holiday Hands On History at-home activities can be downloaded from the MVHS website. The example images and step-by-step instructions for each of the creative crafts projects will be added every Sunday from Nov. 22 to Jan. 3, 2021.
- The Holiday Vintage Video Series will premiere on Tuesdays and Saturdays from Nov. 24 to Jan. 2, 2021. The Business & Media Archives of the Mahoning Valley will post a selection of holiday film footage from its collection on its Facebook page and the MVHS YouTube channel.