YOUNGSTOWN — Ronald Shadd was elected as the Youngstown City Schools school board president for 2021 in a 6-0 vote Tuesday night.
Brenda Kimble, Shadd’s mother, was the previous president of the board and served three terms as a member of the Youngstown Board of Education.
“There will be big shoes to fill from Ms. Kimble,” Shadd said.
Shadd said he wants to be a leader of the district as it continues to work through some of the most unprecedented times in educational history in Ohio. He said he hopes the school board members can pull together to help make the school district the best in Ohio.
“That’s always been my aspiration and that’s what I’ll do as president,” Shadd said.
Tina Cvetkovich was elected as the vice president in a 6-1 vote. Jackie Adair previously served as the school board’s vice president.
“I look forward to working with Ron,” Cvetkovich said. “I believe we will be a great team.”
Other appointments to the board from current members included:
- Kimble was appointed the board’s Ohio School Board Association delegate.
- Cvetkovich was appointed to the federal relations network.
- Juanita Walker was appointed city legislative liaison to work with City Council's education committee.
- Tiffany Patterson was appointed legislative liaison. The role was adjusted to also include working with local and state athletic departments to better keep track of the changes in athletics during the pandemic.
- Jackie Adair was appointed the student achievement liaison.
Shadd also appointed board members to various committees on the board:
- Jerome Williams was appointed chairman of the finance committee with Cvetkovich and Adair also on the committee.
- Cvetkovich was appointed to the chair for the business committee with Patterson and Kimble also on the committee.
- Adair was appointed to the chair for the curriculum committee with Patterson and Cvetkovich also on the committee.
- Kimble was appointed to the chair for the policy committee with Walker and Adair also on the committee.
- Patterson was appointed to the chair for the athletics committee with Williams and Walker also on the committee.
- Walker was appointed to the chair for the human resources committee with Kimble and Williams also on the committee.