YOUNGSTOWN — The Youngstown Playhouse's production of Jordan Harrison’s "Marjorie Prime" will run two weekends beginning Friday.
Showtimes are 7:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Nov. 26 and 27, and 2:30 p.m. Sunday and Nov. 28.
Directed by Susi Thompson, the production will be staged in The Moyer Room as part of the Griffith-Adler Series.
The play is set in the age of artificial intelligence, and 85-year-old Marjorie, a jumble of disparate, fading memories, has a handsome new companion who is programmed to feed the story of her life back to her.
What would we remember and what would we forget if given the chance? Harrison explores the complicated nature of familial relationships, the mysteries of human identity and the limits — if any — of what technology can replace.
A post-show discussion facilitated by the Alzheimer’s Association of Greater East Ohio will be offered after the Nov. 28 performance.
Tickets are $18 for adults and $15 for seniors, students and military, including fees, and can be purchased here or by calling the box office at 330-788-8739 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
Santa will arrive at Southern Park Mall on Saturday
The event will begin at 11 a.m. when Santa Claus arrives at DeBartolo Commons.
To commemorate the opening of The Rink at DeBartolo Commons, Santa will join the Boardman trustees in a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
The cost to skate at The Rink is $10 for adults and $8 for children; guests can bring their own skates or rent skates for $3.
After the ceremony, guests are invited to join the parade as Santa marches to his house in Center Court. Santa will be accompanied by his elves, the Boardman High School marching band, the Grinch and local high school mascots from Boardman, Canfield, Hubbard, Jackson-Milton, South Range and Struthers.
Families can also enjoy free horse-drawn sleigh rides at DeBartolo Commons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Local food trucks will offer warm snacks and hot cocoa for purchase.
At noon, Santa will be at his house in Center Court, ready to hear children’s wishes for the Christmas season. Santa will be available for visits and photos through Christmas Eve. Reservations are encouraged and can be made here.
For a full list of Santa's hours, visit the mall's website.
Guitarist Pasquale Grasso offers master class, YSU performance
The event from 12:30 to 3 p.m. Friday is free and open to the public.
Grasso will perform with YSU faculty members Dave Morgan, bass, and Glenn Schaft, drums. YSU music students also will perform, including the guitar duo of Chandler Carpenter and Andrew Karkosiak; the guitar duo of Enzo Chiodi and Michael Miller; the sextet of Carpenter (guitar), Owen Davis (drums), Brendan Burke (bass), Lucas Ciesielski (tenor saxophone), Antwan Howard (alto saxophone) and Darren Thompson (trumpet); and the quintet of Enzo Chiodi (guitar), Nick Grabigel (drums), Shane Hogle (bass), Joe Stanford (saxophone) and Mason Ciesielski (saxophone).
Parking is available in the Wick Avenue parking deck for $5. Masks are required in all YSU buildings.
Some quick hits …
- The Mahoning Valley Historical Society will open the 13th "Memories of Christmas Past" exhibit Saturday at the Arms Family Museum, 648 Wick Ave., Youngstown. The exhibit will be displayed through Dec. 31.
- One Hot Cookie, 1315 Boardman-Canfield Road, Boardman, will host a Holiday Open House at noon Saturday with the first of six Hot Cocoa Bomb drops, followed by a visit from Santa and Buddy the Elf at 3 p.m.
- Lit Youngstown's Third Saturday Fantasy Book Club will discuss "The Bone Witch" via Zoom at 1 p.m. Saturday. To register for the event, click here.
- Tim Carroll will share his book, "World War II Cartoons of Akron’s Web Brown," in the meeting room at Chad Anthony’s Grille, 4698 Belmont Ave., Liberty, at 10 a.m. Saturday. All programs are open to the public. The cost is $5 for William Holmes McGuffey Historical Society members and $10 for nonmembers. Refreshments and live entertainment will be provided. Reservations are suggested by calling 330-726-8277.
- Past and present members of The Temptations, The Miracles and The Contours will present a Motown Christmas at 7:30 p.m. Sunday at Powers Auditorium in the DeYor Performing Arts Center in Youngstown. Tickets, ranging in price from $39 to $59, can be purchased here.